Total Pageviews

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Restoring Old Bomber Leather Jacket

This jacket came to me in very poor condition. The finish and color was completely worn off. Fortunately, the leather had no holes in it and was in my opinion salvageable. The customer originally just wanted it cleaned, but I asked the customer it she wanted it restored. Which basically meant redyeing and refinishing the whole jacket. She was excited at the prospect of having her old jacket renewed and said, "yes".

Here's a picture of the jacket when I received it.


The jacket used to be a darker brown and had a shiny finish.
As you can see, most of the original color and finish was gone.



After cleaning it, I started the process of redying the leather.



I deliberately redyed one side of the jacket at a time so you can see the difference as I progressed.



Next, I started the process of re-applying the clear leather finish. This puts a seal on the dye that helps repel water and stains. This also protects the leather dye from light abrasion.

 



The final result is so striking that most people who saw the before and after pictures did not want to believe it was the same jacket.
Believe me, it is the same old bomber jacket, but in renewed condition. 


2 comments: